NO CAPACITY EXPANSION ATTEMPT BY GENCOS, DISCOS –NUEE

The National Union of Electricity Employees, on Wednesday, decried the stagnancy in Nigeria’s power sector since November 2013 after it was officially unbundled and sold to private sector investors.

It stated that there had been no visible attempts by the successor power generation and distribution companies to expand their capacities and networks since taking over the companies unbundled from the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria.

The Zonal Organising Secretary, NUEE Abuja, Ayodele Kolade, told journalists at a press briefing that it was an undeniable truth that the power sector privatisation had not added value to the lives of the ordinary Nigerians.

He said, “The entire exercise, which could be described as a charade, has not brought any meaningful impact/improvement on the sector, rather, it has led the nation to a huge set back.”

The infrastructural development by the new business owners in the power sector has almost gone comatose while the socio-economic status of the average worker in the sector has continued to decline amidst prevailing harsh economic conditions.

“The same pieces of equipment inherited pre-privatisation have remained what drive the sector as there are no visible attempts by the generation and distribution companies to upgrade and expand their capacities and networks.”

He added, “Nigerians were deceived into believing that the ‘harvestors’ had the financial/technical muscles to improve power generation and distribution to Nigerians. Can Nigerians be told today that this purpose has been achieved? The answer was echoed in the prints/electronic media by members of the National Assembly who even called for the total reversal of the entire process.”

https://punchng.com/no-capacity-expansion-attempt-by-gencos-discos-nuee/

 

Author avatar
investor

Post a comment

Your email address will not be published.